Good morning, Georgians! It is Friday and we’re heading into the Valentine’s Day weekend. Today marks Day Four of the Senate impeachment trial of Donald Trump. Here is some of the news you might be interested in today.
- Tom the Turkey had another run-in with The Kennesaw Police Department. The feisty fowl does not keep a low profile.
- Two 14-year-olds were arrested in Atlanta. Police say they attempted a carjacking.
- In Bibb County, a police chase involving a stolen truck ended in an arrest.
- Lawmakers in the state Senate passed two bills to protect victims of human trafficking in Georgia.
- Coronavirus vaccines will be available at 12 CVS pharmacies throughout the state starting today.
- A new study shows that Fulton County residents pay the highest income taxes in Georgia.
- A fatal car crash involving dozens of cars and a tractor trailer shut down I-75 North in Cobb County for several hours yesterday.
- A 19-year-old girl is missing in the Atlanta area. She was last seen at the Five Points MARTA station.
- New evidence suggests that poor air quality could negatively impact a child’s confidence.
Today is Day 4 of Donald Trump’s impeachment trial in the U.S. Senate. The defense will be making its arguments today and is expected to wrap its case today. After that, the questioning phase will begin.
Highs in north Georgia will be 51 degrees today with lows around 40 degrees. Rain is expected with increasing chances as we head into the evening and overnight hours. In South Georgia, it will also be rainy, but highs will reach 74 degrees.
Cases of COVID-19 continue to go down in Georgia, but we are still seeing more than 3,000 new cases per day. The number of deaths per day also appears to be heading downward. As of yesterday, the daily average was about 90 deaths per day. This is down from an average of 117 deaths per day in January.
Today In Georgia History:
On Feb. 12, 1733, the colony of Georgia was founded by James Edward Oglethorpe. So, Happy Founder’s Day, y’all.
You can read more about Georgia’s history here.
Quote Of The Day:
Since this is the anniversary of Georgia’s founding, today’s quote comes from James Edward Oglethorpe.
“If we allow slaves, we act against the very Principles by which we associated together, which was to relieve the distressed.”