According to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, preliminary information indicates that at about 2:45 p.m., an Atlanta police officer was working an extra job, in uniform, near Roasters when he encountered a man, identified as 30-year-old Rogers Kyaruzi, of Lithonia.
GBI officials say Kyaruzi had been expressing “odd behavior” prior to the incident and had followed a patron into Roasters where Kyaruzi was causing a disturbance.
The officer attempted to have Kyaruzi step outside of the restaurant and an altercation took place.
According to the GBI, during the altercation, Kyaruzi attempted to take the officer’s weapon, at which time the officer fired his weapon, hitting Kyaruzi.
Kyaruzi was taken to Atlanta Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.
The GBI will conduct an independent investigation. Once complete, the case file will be given to the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office for review.
This is the 45th officer involved shooting the GBI has been asked to investigate in 2022.
- Milton Police Chief Rich Austin Resigns After Seven Years
- See Chevy Chase, 80, Light Family’s ‘Christmas Vacation’ Holiday Display
- Breakthrough in DeKalb Cold Case: Jury Convicts Woman for Murder of Girlfriend
- Understanding the Consequences of Receiving a DWI Charge
- MARTA’s Five Points Station Is Getting a Renovation