The Gist: Roswell resident Walter Juarez Guardado, age 37, was found dead under 20 feet of water after falling off his jet ski on Lake Lanier.
- Witnesses say Juarez Guardado jumped off his jet ski while wearing a life jacket on Saturday.
- He went missing and was not found until Monday afternoon.
- Crews from multiple fire departments and the Georgia Department of Natural Resources used sonar to find his body.
Between the Lines:
- Juarez Guardado’s death could have been prevented if he had been wearing a more visible flotation device.
- The recovery effort highlights the challenges of finding missing persons in large bodies of water.