ROSWELL — Roswell will host its third Annual Día de Muertos Festival on Saturday, Oct. 29, from 2 to 8 p.m., on the grounds of City Hall, 38 Hill Street in Roswell.
Visitors of all ages are invited to celebrate this traditional Mexican holiday, which will feature an afternoon and evening filled with activities, remembrance, and community spirit.
This year’s festival is presented in partnership with the Consulate General of Mexico.
“The Consulate General of Mexico is thrilled to partner with the City of Roswell once again to bring the beautiful Mexican Tradition of Día de Muertos to Roswell grounds,” said Adisde Handal Gamundi, Tourism and Cultural Affairs Coordinator with the Consulate General of Mexico. “Get ready to celebrate the lives of our loved ones who have passed with a wonderful day filled with the color, flavor, and music of Mexico.”
The festival is free to the public, with the exception of food vendors and one special ticketed experience. Highlights include:
- Traditional Entertainment: Aztec dancers, Oaxaca Group, and a Mariachi Band
- Food: On-site vendors will sell Mexican cuisine, such as empanadas and tamales.
- Face Painting: No Día de Muertos celebration would be complete without traditional candy skull face painting. Free, but tips appreciated.
- Ofrenda: Visit a traditional altar honoring family and friends who have passed.
- Costume Contest: Wear your favorite Day of the Dead costume and paint your face for a Catrina and Catrin contest to be held at 5 p.m. Cash prizes will be awarded for best costume.
- Tequila/Specialty Margarita Tasting Experience: Showcasing the unique flavors of Mexico,this experience includes tasting tokens and a souvenir tasting glass (for the first 500 participants). For $35, you will receive eight (8) tokens that can be used to taste any combination of six (6) different types of specialty margaritas (4 oz. sample) and four (4) different types of Tequila (a Blanco, Joven, Reposado, or Anejo) (1/2 oz. sample)
Food vendor, artist, and exhibitor opportunities are available. All vendors must be Day of the Dead themed, and products must be sold by the artist or direct representative.
For more information about the event, to sign up to be a food or artist vendor, or to buy tickets for the Tequila/Specialty Margarita Tasting Experience, visit www.RoswellGov.com/DayOfTheDead.
The City of Roswell recently received a Contract for Services award for $15,600 from Fulton County Arts and Culture. This funding will allow the City to expand the entertainment and education of not only the daylong Día de Muertos event, but it helps to fund programs taking place at the Cultural Arts Center during National Hispanic Heritage month, which runs from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15. Learn more about CAC events at www.RoswellCAC.com.