A husband and wife from Chicago who had just finished eating at a restaurant and were walking back to their hotel were hit by a car as they were crossing the street Thursday night.
Cherokee County Sheriff’s deputies were dispatched to Highway 92 near Northpoint Parkway in Acworth. According to the sheriff’s department, the couple had just eaten at a restaurant and were returning to the Hampton Inn were they were staying.
A vehicle traveling eastbound on Highway 92 struck the couple. Marie Collins, 73, of Chicago, died at the scene. Ernest Collins, 78, of Chicago, was transported to Wellstar Kennestone Hospital with serious injuries.
The driver of the vehicle stopped after the collision and called 911.
According to the Cherokee Sheriff’s Office, the couple was not in the crosswalk at the time of the collision and were in an area that was not well lit.
The accident remains under investigation. No charges have been filed at this time.
- Missing 3-year-old Gwinnett County girl Max Clendenin returned safely
- What’s next for Georgia’s abortion law now that Roe v. Wade is overturned?
- 31-year-old man killed by police in Savannah
- How much does the average Georgia resident pay in monthly bills?
- 16-year-old arrested in Canton for human trafficking of 13-year-old