We’ve now entered the last week of the year. For some, that means another week of vacation and for others it means a return to work until New Year’s. Here is a quick rundown of stories and headlines you probably missed while you were celebrating the holidays last week.
- The big story over the weekend was the RV explosion in Nashville. According to police, the explosion was intentional and was outside an AT&T building.
- The Cobb County teacher who was hospitalized for coronavirus died Christmas morning.
- The 7-year-old girl who was shot outside Phipps Plaza while riding in a car with her aunt died from her injuries.
- An investigation into ballot harvesting in Georgia came back with no evidence of harvesting.
- A 2-year-old is in critical condition after being shot at a Christmas Day gathering.
- 20 people have are without a home after a fire in an apartment building.
Expect a slow news week this week with plenty of time for reflection on the events and happenings of 2020. Georgia is in the middle of a Senate runoff and the state legislature is getting ready to go into session in January, so there will be some news items on those fronts.
Temperatures will reach the low 50s today and will dip to about 38 degrees in the overnight hours. The chance of rain is negligible.
Hospitals in Georgia are at 76% capacity. The state is using 86.6% of its ICU beds and 62.3% of its Emergency Room beds. The state has reported 632,299 positive coronavirus cases, 9,714 confirmed deaths from the virus along with 975 additional deaths that are likely due to the virus. There have been 40,787 hospitalizations for COVID-19 in Georgia and 7,236 ICU admissions.
Experts are expecting yet another spike in coronavirus cases in the coming days and weeks due to Christmas gatherings.
Quote of The Day:
“Sometimes a year has been so disastrous and so terrible that entering a new year will automatically mean entering a wonderful year!” -Mehmet Murat ildan
Disclosure: This article may contain affiliate links, meaning we could earn a commission if you make a purchase through these links.