Unidentified man dies in house fire

February 21, 2020
1 min read
Unidentified man dies in house fire

WAYNESBORO — An unidentified man died in a fatal house fire Wednesday evening in Waynesboro.

According to state fire officials, shortly after 5 p.m. Feb. 19, the Waynesboro Fire Department responded to a residential fire off of Burton Street in Waynesboro. After the fire was extinguished, firefighters discovered the body of an unidentified man in the rear bedroom of the house.

“The 59-year-old, 1,188 square-foot structure suffered major interior damages from the blaze,” said Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner John F. King. “Though they cannot be directly linked to starting the fire, two space heaters were found in the bedroom in which the fire started. At this time, the GBI Crime Lab is in the process of identifying the victim.”

The Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates that more than 25,000 residential fires and more than 300 deaths are caused each year by space heaters.

The unidentified man is the 17th victim to perish in a fire in Georgia this year.

Disclosure: This article may contain affiliate links, meaning we could earn a commission if you make a purchase through these links.

Events Calendar

Georgia Newswire