Patients who test positive for COVID-19 or are at high risk of getting very sick from the virus have a new first line of defense.
AU Health now offers Paxlovid, a pill that is now recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as the primary COVID-19 treatment. It is available by prescription only at local pharmacy retailers at no cost to patients.
Some retailers, such as select CVS stores, also offer test-to-treat options. Patients who receive a COVID-19 test at these locations can leave with prescription medication in hand.
A list of these pharmacies, as well as retailers that carry Paxlovid, is available on the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness & Response website.
Paxlovid is taken twice a day for five days and must be started within the first five days after symptoms appear to be effective.
- Violent Domestic Attack at DeKalb County Intersection Ends in 25-Year Sentence
- Georgia Chick-fil-A Worker Pinned Between Two Cars in Drive-thru Pileup: What We Know
- 15 Unconventional Christmas Albums From the Past 50 Years
- Fayette County Wins Bid for U.S. Soccer’s National Training Hub
- Three Arrested in Connection With Albany Shooting Death