Patients who test positive for COVID-19 or are at high risk of getting very sick from the virus have a new first line of defense.
AU Health now offers Paxlovid, a pill that is now recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as the primary COVID-19 treatment. It is available by prescription only at local pharmacy retailers at no cost to patients.
Some retailers, such as select CVS stores, also offer test-to-treat options. Patients who receive a COVID-19 test at these locations can leave with prescription medication in hand.
A list of these pharmacies, as well as retailers that carry Paxlovid, is available on the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness & Response website.
Paxlovid is taken twice a day for five days and must be started within the first five days after symptoms appear to be effective.
- Savannah considering curfews in response to increased gun violence
- Casey Motter, the ‘Voice of Truist Park’ has died
- Dogs available for adoption in Atlanta this week
- Parents of child killed in arson fire who were wanted for cruelty to children arrested on Appalachian Trail
- Yearly Reminder: Be careful on Georgia’s roads during the July 4th weekend