SMYRNA — A standoff between police and a 27-year-old man at an apartment complex in Smyrna ended when police shot and killed the man.
Officers responded to an apartment on North Lincoln Trace Avenue, in Smyrna Saturday afternoon following a 911 call about a suicidal man.
When officers arrived on scene, they found Unsfored Lewis Thurmond III, and attempted to negotiate with him for several minutes.
According to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, During the incident, Thurmond pointed a firearm that he had been holding towards officers. At that point, an officer shot Thurmond.
Thurmond was taken to a local area hospital where he died as a result of his injuries.
No officers were injured during the incident.
The GBI is conducting an independent investigation and once complete, the casefile will be given to the Cobb County District Attorney’s Office for review.
GET UPDATES ON THIS STORY: Sign up for our free Email newsletter.
- High School Football: UGA football commit Dylan Raiola shows off arm for Buford touchdown
- High School Football: Former Georgia commit Ny Carr breaks Colquitt County record with bobbled touchdown catch
- High School Football: Wake Forest commit Jeremy Hecklinski propels Walton over East Paulding
- Bad News for Trump: First defendant in Fulton County election interference case pleads guilty
- Georgia Law: When is it legally justifiable to shoot someone?