Charges have been filed in the killing of Decatur County Sheriff’s Lt. Justin Bedwell.
The charges against Troy and Brad Phillips from Georgia include the following, according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.
1. Felony Murder
2. Aggravated Assault of a Peace Officer
3. Party to the crime of murder
4. Attempted home invasion
5. Aggravated Assault (2 counts for 2 occupants inside house they attempted to shoot their way into)
6. Possession of a firearm by a convicted felon
7. Possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime
Charges from Seminole County, Florida were also filed and include the following:
1. Aggravated Assault of a Peace Officer
2. Possession of Firearm by Convicted Felon
3. Possession of Firearm During a Crime
4. Felony Fleeing and Attempting to Elude
5. Reckless Driving
According to the GBI, preliminary information indicates that a Seminole County deputy was attempting to conduct a traffic stop on two suspects, one later identified as Troy Arthur Phillips, driving in a white 2500 Chevrolet pickup truck with a Florida tag for reckless driving on Saturday.
The men refused to stop and a chase ensued. A second deputy joined the pursuit and officers say the suspects began to fire a weapon from the truck in the direction of Seminole County deputies. Seminole County deputies returned fire.
The deputies continued the chase into Decatur County where Decatur County deputies joined the pursuit. The suspects drove into the driveway of a Decatur County residence and attempted to gain entry by shooting through the door. The homeowner returned fire and the suspects left the residence, according to the GBI.
As Bedwell was arriving in the area, officers say one of the suspects shot at his vehicle, striking Bedwell.
Bedwell was taken to the hospital for treatment and surgery, but later died from his injuries.
The suspects fled in their truck and wrecked a short time later in a wooded area. A Georgia State Patrol helicopter and crew responded to the area of the wrecked truck. One of the two suspects, identified as Brad Phillips, age 41, was taken into custody without further incident. Troy Phillips was arrested later.