Election Day is drawing near for two elections in DeKalb County. One is the Sept. 29 special election to fill John Lewis’ seat and the other is the Nov. 3 Presidential Election.
The DeKalb County Board of Registration and Elections is reminding residents to mark their calendars to remember several upcoming dates related to the special election, general election and other important deadlines.
“Whether you are a first-time voter, someone interested in becoming a registered voter or exploring your voting options, we want to share some key dates to ensure DeKalb County residents are aware of both the special election to fill the term of the late Congressman John Lewis and the General Election in November,” said Erica Hamilton, DeKalb County elections director. “With concerns around COVID-19, we want to ensure voters are apprised of their options to cast their ballots and the established deadlines for absentee voting and registering for the general election.”
- Tuesday, Sep. 15, 2020: First day for counties to mail absentee ballots
- Tuesday, Sep. 29, 2020: Special Election (5th Congressional District)
Only registered voters who reside in the district are eligible to vote
- Monday, Oct. 5, 2020: Voter registration deadline
- Monday, Oct. 5, 2020: In-person/ advance voting begins
- Saturday, Oct. 24, 2020: Saturday voting
- Friday, Oct. 30, 2020: In-person/ advance voting ends
- Friday, Oct. 30, 2020: Deadline to request absentee ballot
- Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020: General Election
- Wednesday, Nov. 18, 2020: First day for counties to mail absentee ballots
for federal runoff
- Tuesday, Dec. 1, 2020: Possible state and local runoff
- Tuesday, Jan. 5, 2021: Runoff for federal office
With higher turnout expected in November, DeKalb officials are urging voters to consider absentee ballots and early voting options in addition to Election Day in-person voting.
“As we approach the upcoming special election and the general election, I would encourage people to explore all of their voting options to avoid lines and extended waits on Election Day,” Hamilton said.
For more information, contact the DeKalb County Voter Registration and Elections Office at 404-298-4020, visit DeKalb County Voter Registration and Elections at www.dekalbvotes.com or visit the Georgia Secretary of State at https://sos.ga.gov/.