The News: A standoff with police in Warner Robins led to a police shooting Tuesday. One man was shot and is in stable condition with non-life-threatening injuries.
- The U.S. Marshals Service Middle Georgia Fugitive Task Force was executing arrest warrants on Renaldo Rashad Smith, age 32, wanted for felony charges from Houston County.
- Smith barricaded himself inside a home on Somerset Drive in Warner Robins.
- Officers heard gunshots inside the home and established a perimeter.
- The Warner Robins Police Department and Houston County Sheriff’s Office responded to the scene to assist.
- Negotiators from the Warner Robins Police Department communicated with Smith, encouraging him to surrender.
- The standoff lasted several hours.
- According to the GBI, Smith fired shots towards officers from inside the home.
- Warner Robins PD officers returned fire, shooting Smith.
- Smith was subsequently removed from the home and taken to Atrium Health Navicent in Macon for treatment.
- Charges against Smith are pending.
- The GBI will conduct an independent investigation of the police shooting and the aggravated assault on the officers.
- The case file will be given to the Houston County District Attorney’s Office for review.
- The case file will be reviewed by the Houston County District Attorney’s Office to determine if any charges will be filed against Smith.
Reminder: Crime articles contain only charges and information from police reports and law enforcement statements. Suspects and defendants are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.