Eight Georgia public schools were named 2020 National Blue Ribbon Schools today.
Blue Ribbon is a national recognition from the U.S. Department of Education. The Georgia schools named 2020 recipients of the honor are:
- Academy for Classical Education – Elementary (State Charter Schools Commission)
- Academy for Classical Education – Middle (State Charter Schools Commission)
- Martha Ellen Stilwell School for the Performing Arts (Clayton County Schools)
- Murdock Elementary School (Cobb County Schools)
- Stevens Creek Elementary School (Columbia County Schools)
- Brooks Elementary School (Coweta County Schools)
- DeKalb Early College Academy (DeKalb County Schools)
- Johnson Elementary School (Floyd County Schools)
- State Bridge Crossing Elementary School (Fulton County Schools)
“National Blue Ribbon Schools are among the best of the best in our country,” State School Superintendent Richard Woods said. “I am extremely proud of the educators and students at these Georgia public schools and offer my heartfelt congratulations to each one of them. This is a well-deserved recognition and shines a spotlight on schools working hard to expand opportunities for students.”
The Department of Education recognizes schools in two performance categories:
- Exemplary High Performing Schools are among their state’s highest-performing schools as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests.
- Exemplary Achievement Gap Closing Schools are among their state’s highest-performing schools in closing achievement gaps between a school’s student groups and all students.