Happy Friday, Georgia! Hanukkah began last night and lasts until Dec. 18. We are also just 14 days away from Christmas. Here are the news stories you need to be aware of today.
- Coronavirus isn’t slowing down for the holidays. Georgia had almost 8,000 new cases yesterday, setting a daily record for the state.
- Georgia Speaker of the House David Ralston, upset that Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger did not attend a hearing on Georgia’s voting system yesterday, is now asking for a constitutional amendment allowing the state legislature to choose the secretary of state instead of the voters.
- At that same hearing, Rudy Giuliani told lawmakers that every single vote Joe Biden received in Georgia should be thrown out. This is a far cry from his initial pitch of counting every “legal” vote.
- 36 Newly elected sheriffs gathered together for Sheriff’s school. Now two of them have tested positive for COVID-19 and all are in quarantine.
The Supreme Court may announce today whether or not it intends to hear Texas’ case suing Georgia and several other swing states in a last-ditch attempt to overturn certified election results.
It’s cold this morning, but temperatures are expected to reach above 60 degrees this afternoon. Temperatures will remain in the 50s in the overnight hours.
7,950 new cases of COVID-19 were reported yesterday, 277 people were hospitalized due to the virus and 55 people died yesterday from the virus in Georgia.
- The FDA gave the Pfizer coronavirus vaccine a vote of confidence yesterday.
- A viral video of a coach hitting a child has Georgia ties.
- Mike Pence campaigned for Kelly Loeffler and David Perdue yesterday in Augusta. He also asked God to bless Texas.
Quote of The Day:
“The bedrock of our democracy is the rule of law and that means we have to have an independent judiciary, judges who can make decisions independent of the political winds that are blowing.” -Caroline Kennedy