ATHENS — An Athens resident is dead after a mobile home fire Wednesday afternoon.
The Athens-Clarke County Fire Department received an alarm for a structure fire on Nowhere Road at 2:24 p.m.
Firefighters arrived just minutes later and reported heavy smoke and fire conditions showing from a mobile home. The crew made a rapid, interior attack on the fire. Several additional units arrived at the scene just moments later.
The fire was brought under control, but crews discovered a deceased fire victim.
The Athens-Clarke County Coroner was called and notifications are being made to family members of the resident. Information regarding the deceased will be made available by the coroner’s office at a later time.
Fire officials say the fire originated in the kitchen and was accidental.
“This is a tragic loss for this family and our community. Please keep them in your thoughts,” Fire Chief Jeff Scarbrough said.
- Georgia woman arrested after bomb threat at Floyd County Sheriff’s Office
- 39-year-old Warner Robins woman killed in traffic collision
- Data Aggregation Tools for Expert Investing
- Gun deaths in Georgia surged 31% as gun sales increased 59%
- Unsealed warrant shows Trump may be under investigation for Espionage Act violations