ROSWELL — Roswell will host its second Dia de los Muertos Festival on Saturday, October 30, 2021, from 2 to 8 p.m., on the grounds of City Hall at 38 Hill Street in Roswell.
Visitors of all ages are invited to celebrate this traditional Mexican holiday, which will feature an afternoon and evening filled with fun, remembrance, and community spirit.
What is it? Dia de Los Muertos—or the Day of the Dead—is traditionally celebrated October 31 to November 2 in the central and southern regions of Mexico. The holiday is centered around remembrance of lost loved ones, as communities come together to celebrate their memory and pray for their safe spiritual journey.
Back after the pandemic: This year’s festival is presented in partnership with Atlanta Foundation for Public Spaces. The City of Roswell hosted the first Dia de los Muertos festival in 2019 but was unable to bring it back in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The details: The festival is free to the public, with the exception of food vendors and one special ticketed experience. Highlights include:
- Traditional Entertainment: Aztec dancers, Oaxaca Group and a mariachi band
- Food: On-site vendors will sell Mexican cuisine, such as empanadas and tamales.
- Face Painting: No Dia de los Muertos celebration would be complete without traditional candy skull face painting. Free, but tips appreciated.
- Movie: “Coco,” starting at 6 p.m.
- Ofrenda: Visit a traditional altar honoring family and friends who have passed.
- Costume Contest: Wear your favorite Day of the Dead costume and paint your face for a Catrina and Catrin contest to be held at 5 p.m. Cash prizes will be awarded for best costume.
- Tequila/Specialty Margarita Tasting Experience: Showcasing the unique flavors of Mexico, this experience includes tasting tokens and a souvenir tasting glass (for the first 500 participants). For $35, you will receive eight (8) tokens that can be used to taste any combination of six (6) different types of specialty margaritas (4 oz. sample) and four (4) different types of Tequila (a Blanco, Joven, Reposado, or Anejo) (1/2 oz. sample)
Vendor, artist, and exhibitor opportunities are available. All vendors must be Day of the Dead themed, and products must be sold by the artist or direct representative.
For more information about the event, to sign up to be a vendor or artist, or to buy tickets for the Tequila/Specialty Margarita Tasting Experience, visit www.RoswellGov.com/DayOfTheDead.