A hostage situation at a Smyrna apartment complex ended Monday after police shot the suspect.
According to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, preliminary information indicates that at about 9:45 a.m., Cobb County Police officers responded to Concord Crossing Apartments on Old Concord Road in Smyrna in reference to a 911 call of shots fired.
Cobb County SWAT encountered a barricaded man in an apartment with a reported second man being held hostage inside.
During the incident, an officer shot 39-year-old Robert Parks. Parks subsequently died from his injuries.
Parks was armed with a gun.
The second man in the apartment was transported to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries. One officer sustained non-life threatening injuries. He was treated and released.
The GBI will conduct an independent investigation. Upon completion, it will be turned over to the Cobb County District Attorney’s Office for review.
- Influencer in a Coma After Troubling Health Crisis at 9-Months Pregnant
- The Cost of Housing Has Skyrocketed in North Fulton
- The Sobering Reality Behind Georgia’s Memorial Day: Deaths, DUIs and Traffic Disasters
- Georgia’s senators vote in favor of debt ceiling deal
- Empowering DeKalb’s Daughters: Free leadership program opens doors for teen girls